Sunday, October 15, 2006

Schizophrenia

You see I have this theory about myself. I've been thinking about it since October 27th or so of 2000. Nope that's not even right either. This theory of mine probably would have made its first appearance in my head around the 15th of November. It just dawned on me one day. I don’t know why, I don’t really care why to be honest with you. It’s not really an integral part of my tale.

The theory I have about myself has been true for every single job I’ve had except for one. By now you’re probably wondering (I say that like, there may be more than 5 people at most going to read this. Yeah, and I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale) what said theory is. (Unless of course you’ve already heard this story. If that’s the case, call it a refresher course) I’m tired of beating around the bush so I’ll get back to the task at hand here.

It seems that I act like a total different person while at work than I am around the rest of the general population. The first time this idea of mine dawned upon me, I was at work, doing my thing and I was probably thinking about this girl I liked at the time, while at the same time talking to the girls I worked with. We would get to chatting about significant others and I’d be straight up about my status and they’d ask why I was single. I knew the reason. I was an asshole. No 2 ways about it. I’m honest enough to know it and admit it and more to the point, I didn’t care. I relayed this information and the reaction was always the same. “No you aren’t” would always be the reply. At which point I’d usually ask them about the relative convenience of crack in their neighbourhood because they’d have to be on something to think any different than what I thought.

So I went home and thought about the things I was being told. How in the blue hell could these people think these things about me? Why would they think these things? (I guess this’d be a good time to point out that I have a huge thing about people’s perception of me. I always seem to have to know where I stand. Hell if I know why, but if you can’t be honest when you’re alone at 2:02 in the morning, when can you be?) So I’d think about it, and think about it, and think about it some more. And then it hit me. They didn’t have a clue who I was. Because of the regulations that were placed on us at work, (The clothes we could wear, the way we had to talk, all that stuff) I couldn’t be me. And that far and away, beyond sucked. I liked the person that I was, at that point in time. I wanted to be able to be the same way all the time. But at the same time I wondered if work rules were the only reason that I would be different. Did I realize then that I didn’t like the person I was? Was I looking for an excuse to act differently? I’ve come to decide that I seem to have painted a picture of a myself being a nice guy, mainly because was in a position to paint myself a picture of being a nice guy.

So on I went. For the next 2 years almost. One type of person at home and another guy at the office. I didn’t think of it that way. I thought of it as, casual at home; ready to work at the office. I’d like to think that I know better now, but that’s a gut feeling and I’ve been listening to my guts for years now, and I’m starting to think that my guts have shit for brains. Anyways, I quit that job and thought “Finally. I can be me again.” What I should have thought was “Great, you’re a lying sack of shit again.”

I started thinking those things again, about 9 months ago. I was at work and this smoking hot girl walked in the door. I was like “What the hell did I deserve to do this good luck?” I walked over started talking to her, gave her the grand tour all the while falling over myself, acting like a complete fool. I wanted to get to know this girl better. So we got to talking and I asked if she wanted to go grab coffee after work, and she said yeah, so away I went. I was king of the world. Or so I thought. That night while knockin back the java she says “Wow, you’re a lot different outside of work than you are in it.” Not exactly the line I was going for, but wise man once told me “You dribble, you shoot, you hope for the best.”

Anways, I felt pretty bad that I hadn’t overcome this “Not the same guy away from the office” deal, so I wrote about it. It’s the easiest way I’ve found to deal with my problems. Write it down, read it, make sense of it, then deal with it. I’ve never put it here because there are some things I write that I keep for myself. Mostly though, I don’t have the guts to show it to anybody. (Honesty…Gotta love it.) I used the title of it though as an MSN sign in name. I may not have the guts to show my writing to the world, but I know a good title when I see one. A buddy of mine asked me about it, I told him and he agreed, it was a good line and a good title (It’s nice being right every once in a while.)

So why all this writing? Good friggin question. Last Saturday, I was sitting right where I am now, talking to a girl I work with, just shootin the breeze and she asked what plans I had for the weekend. I told her I was going to stay in and learn to play some new songs on my guitar (Incidentally, I play guitar, by the way.) She got excited and told me that I had to play for her some time. That one I did not see coming. I told her that I hadn’t played guitar in front of anybody that wasn’t in my family, I wasn’t dating or was one of the 2 or 3 friends I have that came over to my house all the time and saw me practising. Apparently this came as a shock. Kyle Furlong? Shy? Nervous? Never ! All I could say was (Out loud by the way) “Shit” which got me in trouble from my 4-year-old step niece for using bad language. 6 friggin years have gone by and I still couldn’t separate myself from when I’m at work or at home. So I spent a week of just being me. At home, at work, in the car. You know what? It turns out that “Me” ain’t such a bad guy after all. It just took me 24 years to realize it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Drivertiser said...

Sounds like the same stuff I've been telling you the last 6yrs (and I'm sure others have said it a lot longer than I have). If you ask Paul, this is the same stuff we've been talking about at church for quite some time now as well. Maybe you should make more than just guest appearances there, ya know! Apply for a recurring role... I'm sure Brian would find a part for you to play.

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Kyle said...

Yeah while I could make more than just a guest appearance, I'd just be lying to myself and everybody there. I'm not going to talk to somebody who's not talking back. It's really not my idea of a good time.

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Drivertiser said...

Maybe He IS talking and you're just not knowing what you're hearing?

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The voice of the Holy Spirit is still and quiet and always brings peace to your heart.

How is your brother ... I keep thinking of him.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful day when you become comfortable with who you are and who God has made you.

I remember feeling great when I realized I had reached adulthood and wasn't going to get in trouble every time I turned around.

I like this post very much.

:-)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Kyle said...

Eric: Maybe, but I doubt it. All I wanted was to hear a "It's all good buddy, I got your back" and apparently that was to hard to tell me. That's all I asked for. (Well maybe I asked for a Ferrari too but I was fishin on that one)

Wendy: Glad you liked the post, every once in a while I write something that somebody likes and it's good to hear about it. Now I'm glad the Holy Spirit is still and quiet and brings peace to your heart, but I can't really say the same thing. Not honestly anways. I used to get angry when I thought about it but nowadays I just don't even think about it. I've gotten so far away from it that it never even crosses my mind. As for my brother, all is well on that front, he's still taking his meds and he'll be doing that for the rest of his life, but other than that he's good. And to top it off he'll be a dad in another month as well. So he's just singin at this point. Thanks for asking

Wednesday, November 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow a new baby in the family
...that's exciting. Little ones are the sweetest things on the face of the earth. :-)

So you will be a new unc !!!

Let us know when it all goes down.

There's a book by Philip Yancey called "Disappointment with God"

Would you be interested in reading it and discussing it here with me and whoever else wants to join us?

We can go chapter by chapter.

Friday, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Kyle said...

When I read, I tend to do it alone from start to finish so I can absorb the text without having to dwell on one point more than the next. While I would have no problems reading the book and discussing, I'd personally be more inclined (Not downcline eh Eric)to finish on my own and ask/answer any questions that I/You may have about things I may have taken from it.

That and I read alot faster than most people do. Something to do with always being afraid of having my books taken away when I was a kid I'd guess.

Of course, knowing where to buy that book would also help. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kyle

www.amazon.ca....
type in Philip Yancey
$2.66 used and $7.99 new CDN

Good price eh?

Keep me posted .... :-)

Who took your books away from you when you were small? :-(

Sunday, November 12, 2006  
Blogger Kyle said...

My stepdad. He was a total....I can't exactly say what I feel without swearing my head off but long story short I used to get grounded throughout my entire childhood for no particular reason and he'd take away my books when he found out that I liked to read. Prick bastard of the highest level.

And to top it off I officially became an uncle today. Andrew Aaron Furlong was born at 11:34 AM, November 12 2006, at Brantford General Hospital. 19 inches long and 6 lbs 8 ounces.

Sunday, November 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cungratulations !!! :-)

Monday, November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home